Tacos de carne asada are a popular street food dish served all over Mexico but mainly in the state of Sonora as it is known to have the best cattle in the country.
Tacos de carne asada literally translates to ‘grilled meat tacos’ are usually served on wheat flour tortillas as these are more popular than the corn in the northern estates of Mexico.
The best cut of meat for these tacos is called ARRACHERA quite similar to the Skirt steak or flank. Even sirloin! But you don’t need an expensive cut of meat as you will be finely slicing and chop it up into small bite size pieces.
Remember that a great taco does not need many ingredients: a great tortilla, good quality meat and a superb salsa.
- Marinate the meat in orange juice and garlic.
- Prepare the coals to medium heat. – You can also use a gas grill.
- Grill the meat about 5-7 mins on each side. You are looking for a nice char on the outside while maintaining a medium rare on the inside. Be careful not to over cook as this will dry the meat.
- Season with AztecA Taco Seasoning to taste and leave to rest for 3-5 mins. Then slice quite thin or chop into small squares.
- Heat up the tortillas and build your own tacos by adding the meat, Guacamole, chopped onion and coriander, lime juice and the salsa of your choice.