These unusual enchiladas are prepared with red ground chilli mixed in the masa and are a signature dish in the state of San Luis Potosi.
They are usually served with shredded lettuce and guacamole and have the appearance of a quesadilla.
Makes 12 medium enchiladas.
- Click on the + to add product to cart.
- 1 pkt ancho chillies. Seeds and membranes removed
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 TBS lard or vegetable shortening
- 1 TBS oil
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 1/4 cups crumbled feta cheese
- 2 cups Masa Harina
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- oil for frying
- Shredded lettuce for garnish
- Sour cream for garnish
- Roast the chillies on a dry medium heat skillet. be careful not to burn them. then soak in the hot water for 25 minutes. Then puree in a blender with 1/2 cup of the water in which they soaked.
- Melt he shortening in a small skillet, add the chillies puree and sauté for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- in another skillet, heat the oil, add the onion and sauté until transparent. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese. Add 1 TBS of the chilli puree and stir well. Set aside.
- Place the Masa Harina in a deep bowl. add the 2 cups of water and start needing with your hands until a soft, non sticky dough is achieved. Add the remaining child pure and the salt and knead for 5 minutes or until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined. cover with a damp cloth and rest for 20 minutes.
- Form the masa into balls about the size of walnuts, place between 2 plastic sheets in a tortilla press and flatten to form circles of about 7.5 cm in diameter. Remove the plastic. Spread a TBS of the cheese mixture in the middle of each circle, leaving a narrow margin. For the circles in half and press the edges to seal.
- Heat a comal or iron skillet and toast the enchiladas for 2 or 3 minutes on each side or until the masa changes colour and seems cooked. (The enchiladas can be prepared in advance until this point and refrigerated for up to 3 hours.)
- Heat 1 cm of oil in a skillet, add 2 or 3 enchiladas at a time and fry for 3 or 4 minutes on each side. Drain and serve.
- Garnish with shredded lettuce and sour cream.