Elote is a great street food in Mexico. It consists of boiled or roasted corn on the cob topped with all sorts of delicious things – including cheese, chilli and mayo. In this recipe, we use fire-roasted corn for the smokey, caramelized flavour. We then cut the corn off the cob and use it to make a tasty salad. Great to make and serve at your next braai!
4 Large Ears of Yellow Corn.
1/2 Onion. Finely diced.
150g Feta. Crumbled.
5 Tbs Creamy Mayonnaise
3 Tbs Lime and Chilli Spice
1 Bunch Fresh Coriander. Roughly chopped.
Salt and Pepper to Taste
1. Clean the corn of all silk and pieces of the husk.
2. Roast the corn over a hot flame so that it is cooked through and slightly blistered and blackened. (If you don’t have a flame, you can roast the corn under a hot grill – watching carefully and turning regularly).
3. Remove the corn from the flame, cover with foil and leave to cool.
4. Slice the corn off of the cobs and gently loosen the kernels from each other with a spoon.
5. Add the onion, feta, mayo, and seasoning and stir until combined.
6. Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
7. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
8. Just before serving, stir in the fresh coriander.